Spanish White Bean & Cod Stew
Written by Lauren Duffell, RHN
When I was growing up, my mother did not make a lot of fish. We thought that we didn’t like it very much because of the texture. It wasn’t until she met her husband that we changed the way we cook with fish. He is from Almeria, Spain, so he knows fish. We learned that we were overcooking it which makes it rubberier and stronger smelling. Soup is a favourite food in my family, so my mom began experimenting with making fish soups that we all love so much. This is not one of her recipes, but it was inspired by mom’s love of soup and my step father’s love of fish.
Serve this soup with a nice drizzle of olive oil on top for some healthy omega-3 fatty acids. This meal gives you a delicious serving of protein, fibre, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals to keep you feeling good!
Spanish White Bean & Cod Stew (serves 4 + leftovers)
- 1 Tbsp of coconut oil or ghee (for frying onions)
- 2 Medium Onions, Sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Packed Shredded Kale Leaves (or collard greens)
- 2 Cups Cooked White Beans (or one 540ml can)
- 1 Can (796ml) Whole Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, Cut into small bite size pieces
- 0.5Kg of Cod (or any other white fish), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika (or regular)
- 4 Bay Leaves
- ¼ Tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 Heaping Tbsp of dry Tarragon
- Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth (water is ok if you don’t have broth)
- Pinch of Saffron as garnish (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to Garnish
- Heat cooking oil in a large pot
- Add to pot: onions, garlic, salt, chili, bay leaves, tarragon and paprika
- Cook for a few minutes to soften and slightly brown the onions and garlic
- Add all other ingredients except for kale and fish, bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are cooked
- Add in cod fish, cook at a simmer for 10-15 minutes (the fish should flake easily when done)
- Add in the kale for the last 5 mins until it is softened
- Season to taste and serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of saffron!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.