Stressed out and craving carbs? Try this instead!
Holistic Nutritionist and Culinary Nutrition Expert Laura Mierzwa designed this recipe with the stress eating, carb craving client in mind.
When you’re stressed out and tired, your body is looking for quick energy to get you through the day. The problem with mindlessly munching on processed foods like bagels, chips, pasta and sweets, is that they give the body a rapid spike of energy and feel good chemicals (like dopamine and serotonin), but quickly send it crashing right back down.
Have this sweet and salty sweet potato dish as a side, or on it’s own as a snack. It has complex carbohydrates, good quality protein and healthy fats to help balance blood sugar which is a key step for beating adrenal fatigue and stress.
1. Wash and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch rounds.
2. Steam sweet potato in a steamer for 30 - 40 minutes, until tender.
3. Per-heat oven to 375
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil, coconut milk, salt and cinnamon and use a hand masher to mash into a smoother mix.
5. Add in vanilla 1 egg, beaten.
6. Place mix into a 9x9 glass baking dish
7. Mix together chopped pecans, almond flour and 1 tbsp of coconut oil and place on top of mashed sweet potato.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until top is crisp.
9. Serve on it’s own or topped with coconut flakes and blueberries!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
I have experienced chronic adrenal fatigue and completely understand what you may be going through. It is frustrating to feel like something is not right in your body and no one can tell you what is going on.